Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pump up your exercise regimen

Recently, I pumped up my exercise regimen big time. The turning point came when Andreas Heuser, who is a membership advisor at Equinox in South Beach, suggested I try one of Philip Gray's classes. Gray is the group fitness manager. So I decided to give his "Group Power" class a shot. (Andreas is a great guy, by the way, so if you're local and want to give Equinox a try, give him a call).

Not knowing what to expect, I wandered into the main studio --and nearly wandered right back out! The class members were busy hauling out equipment -- step aerobic platforms, dumbbells, barbells, and the like. Now, I'm accustomed to doing these activities separately, but in tandem? Barbells? I don't think so.

I decided to stick it out and, within a few weeks, I was shocked to find myself doing kicks on the step platform with a barbell resting on my shoulders. In fact, I was doing squats and kicks with the rest of the class, most of who are considerable younger than me.

I was also surprised to learn that classes like these, which combine cardio and weights, are in the forefront, not only for younger people, but older folks as well. For instance, a New York Times article, which focuses on a 91-year-old track star, suggests that most active older people are actually underexercising, not the reverse!

This was certainly the case with me. Now I'm yakking all my friend's ears off about this, especially after one of Andreas's colleagues looked at me in amazement one day, when I told him I was addicted to Gray's "Group Power" class. "I couldn't even get through half of that," he wailed. Yep, I'm definitely addicted.

5GGEW7RMACTG

More info: Equinox South Beach

2 comments:

  1. Yes. Give Equinox a try! Andreas Heuser is a real great guy and you will be in safe hands. Unfortunatly Im not a local, but if I would, this would be my first choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you see him remind him on his little daughter.

    ReplyDelete