Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Protect Your Heart 12 Months a Year

Today is Feb. 1, which is the start of Heart Month and my own National Women's Heart Health Day.

I first began writing about women's heart health after my own open-heart surgery back in the ancient days of the mid-1990s. Back then, there were no Women's heart observances; indeed, when I turned my focus on this topic, the American Heart Association wasn't even keeping statistics on women. It literally took an Act of Congress to get women included in medical studies.

Now, of course, it's much different. I lecture around the country on heart health and visit hospital with established cardiac programs for women. Wearing red in February is a national craze, and there are major promotions, at Macy's and the like.

The downside of all this? The fact is that heart attacks don't strike women only in February; heart disease is a concern year-around. So, while I applaud the emphasis on heart disease this month, don't overlook the importance if heart health 360 days a year.

Protect your heart, Protect your Life. It's that simple!

Remember: I'll be spending Valentine's Day at the U.S. Army War College, teaching our troops how to care for their hearts. If you want to bring me to your organization of group to talk about how protecting your heart protects you from cancer, diabetes, stroke and more, shoot me an email at char@libov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment